I can’t say enough about meditation and prayer. They are valuable assets in recovery and in just everyday life.
For me the meditation is allowing God to speak to me through His Holy Scriptures and through his creation. I don’t always remember to do this when I seem to hit crisis mode.
Therefore, talking with others is so important so that I can remember to do the little things that can make such a huge difference. It’s especially when we feel that life is falling all around us, we need our greatest support.
It still comes down to me also being my greatest support and using the tools available to me to help myself.
Before we get to the 12 great benefits about meditation and prayer, I want to share a story.
I was 12 years old and we had gone to this go-cart track. I got in the go-cart and was going around and around the track. It came time to pull in and I couldn’t get the go-cart to stop.
I started panicking! One of the guys there finally rushed up got on the back and yelled in my ear to push on the brake! I was headed for a barbed wire fence and we would have been totally cut up, if I had not listened!
I shared that to share how easy it is to go through life feeling as if the accelerator is stuck as we go spiraling down. But we can stop in our tracks if we just listen. Being reminded of the tools we have is a great thing.
It can save your life.
The 12 Great Benefits About Meditation and Prayer:
- It has a calming effect Stress reducing
- Opens communication up between you and God
- It has been tested in the medical science field for helping the immune system.
- It improves concentration
- It increases self-awareness
- It gets your mind from just you, so that you can become compassionate towards others
- It can change all kinds of circumstances
- You can sleep healthier
- It’s great for weight loss in the fact you’re not so bound up by everything that happens that you remain in a knot inside
- It helps you find gratitude and seeing you’re just a small part of this world
- It can reduce inflammation because you are relaxed
- You feel happier and want others to experience that same happiness. It will make you a helper to others.
I do different scenarios for meditation and prayer, but I have to say my favorite is to go out in nature with a blank pad and pen. No phone. I do have it with me, but it is turned off completely. I always have it on silent if at home doing meditation and prayer.
Sometimes there will be a scripture speaking to my current life events. I will use that and ask God all kinds of questions and thank him for the gifts in my life.
At home, I have used both scented and unscented candles. Sometimes its my favorite “Christian Songs”, I will listen to the as my lead in for prayer and meditate upon the song and see where it fits in me.
I have even found a whole lot of secular songs speak volumes to me in the spiritual time with God.
The bottom line here is when I line my life up to God through meditation and prayer it makes a world of change. It is then, when everything starts falling into place.
Thanks for reading!